Friday 12 February 2016

Identities and Film: blog task

2) Complete the Twenty Statements Test yourself. This means answering the question ‘Who am I?’ 20 times with 20 different answers. What do they say about your identity? Write the 20 answers in full on your blog.

Social groups and classifications (SGC) 
Ideological Beliefs (IB)
Interests (I)
Ambitions (A)
Self Evaluations (SE)
  1. I am female (SGC)
  2. I am 18  (SGC)
  3. I am in yr 13  (SGC)
  4. I am studying media   (SGC)
  5. I am studying japanese   (SGC)
  6. I am studying english    (SGC)
  7. I am a buddhist  (IB)
  8. I am a K-pop fan  (I)
  9. I am short  (SGC)
  10. I am Sri Lankan  (SGC)
  11. I am an older sister  (SGC)
  12. I am a daughter (SGC)
  13. I am a niece (SGC)
  14. I am cousin  (SGC)
  15. I am a granddaughter  (SGC)
  16. I am a sixth form student  (SGC)
  17. I am a friend  (SGC)
  18. I am British  (SGC)
  19. I am living in London   (SGC)
  20. I am doing my media homework
This probably shows that I am a type of person who identify's with different social groups but would prefer not to openly reveal any other personal information.

3) Classify your answers into the categories listed  on the Factsheet: Social groups, ideological beliefs, interests etc.

4) Go back to your favourite film (as identified in the lesson). What does this choice of film say about your identity? Are there any identities within the film (e.g. certain characters) that particularly resonated with your values and beliefs?


My favourite film is a film called Miracle in Cell No.7, which is a South Korean film about a father with a mental disability who is wrongfully convicted of murder. While in prison, he bonds with other prisoners who do everything in their power to help him meet his daughter again. With all the characters in the film having extreme personalities, it is hard to identify with, however, I do have great sympathy for the protagonist who felt completely powerless in proving himself innocent due to his mental impairment, and that he only cared about being able to see his daughter again. This may show that the pleasures I receive when watching films are predominantly for diversion than self identity.

5) Watch the trailers for the five films highlighted as examples of gay/lesbian representation in mainstream film. How are LGBT identities constructed in the trailers and how are audiences encouraged to respond to these representations?


LGBT identities are represented as something that is completely condemned in society. Due to this, Oscar Wilde's preferences are shadowed by the people around him, with a character saying, "It's not whether there is anything wrong, its whether or not there appears to be something wrong" which implied that Wilde will be accepted as long as he hides his true demeanour. Although LGBT identities are criticized, audiences are encouraged to believe that to love someone of the same sex is completely natural and that one should not be afraid of being themselves.



In Philadelphia,  LGBT identities are represented as something despicable and vile as people want to completely avoid the protagonist as well as have him fired from his job due to his sexual orientation. There are many instances where it is evident that people did not want to have any association with LGBT identities such as when the lawyer did not want to be around the protagonists as well as when the protagonist was asked whether he wanted to be in a separate area, while in the library. However, audiences are encouraged to be the difference in the world of discrimination and prejudice as the audience may decide to identify with the lawyer who ultimately decides to help the protagonist.


LGBT identities are considered as something that must be hidden from friends and family, however, it suggests that the acceptance of LGBT identities varies within different cultural backgrounds. From the trailer alone, audiences may be encouraged to believe that LGBT relationships cannot progress further into marriage and will always be something that is unrealistic when thinking about the future.


Due to this being a recent film, LGBT relationships are represented as a complete normality and unlike The Wedding Banquet, it shows that the relationship can progress to marriage and even to the extent of building up a family. The family relationship is also portrayed equally to heterosexual marriages with children which normalizes LGBT identities. However, the movie does explore the issues and conflicts that can arise after building a family with a LGBT couple, such as the children being curious about their birth father and the situations that follow from it. Although comedically analyzing such problems, audiences, overall, are induced to equalize LGBT relationships to heterosexual relationships.



In the film, it seems that LGBT identities are completely separated and alienated from the general public. This accentuates the detestation that most LGBT identities receive often, however, as they are shown to be very heavy in numbers, this may signify that despite being marginalized,  the community is growing and has become a great force that can support miners. This may show audiences the brutal reality that the LGBT community have to face which may encourage them to be more accepting of the community

No comments:

Post a Comment